<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/21384308?origin\x3dhttp://luke281913.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Sunday, August 31, 2008
Its been 2 weeks since I graduated from SISPEC and got posted to Combat Engineers.
The regimentation there is horrible and the days are awfully boring.
Lectures, practical, lectures, practical.

In between, I have had time to wonder why the SAF is so backwards in many areas.
For one, some of the lecture slides have terrible spelling, grammatical and vocabulary errors. I am not requiring them to be perfect, but at least they should be understandable. And it doesn't help if the lecturer has no idea that his slides are wrong either.
For another, some of the instructors here at ETI give me a poor impression. I do not think a duty instructor who listens to the strength report while leaning on a rover and standing literally on one leg deserves any more respect than a new enlistee who behaves in the same manner.
It is absolutely pathetic. I don't see the officers behaving in such a manner. Perhaps that's the reason why they are officers and these people are just sergeants.

Sometimes you also have to think about the people who sign on in the SAF. There are many who sign on under forced circumstances, such as a poor education certification, making it difficult to pursue further education, or being urgently in need of money to get by. More than often, the former is usually the reason why people sign on in the army.
I am not promoting any discrimination here but personally I feel that a person with a higher education level appears to behave in a more appropriate manner than his counterpart of a lower education level. I have seen this through my platoon commanders back in SISPEC, where the platoon commanders with a lower education level can act unreasonably sometimes.
I see this once again in ETI where some instructors hold themselves poorly.

The WOSPEC is the backbone of the SAF. So how can the SAF stay strong internally if the backbone is so messed up?
Perhaps, for the sake of argument, we can say that the SAF is a huge organisation and it is difficult to maintain standards within such a huge organisation. But this screwed up syndrome is visible everywhere I go within this organisation, so something definitely must be very wrong.
in my opinion, they should engage some external auditors to audit the management and instructional level in the SAF.
If not, the SAF will only be 3G in terms of technology and equipment, but the protocol and system will forever stay in the 1G days.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I watched Wall-E on Saturday. It was a great movie, very original and very creative. Absolutely deserving of its 97% rating on RottenTomatoes The movie portrayed a lot of messages open for the audience to interpret. Do catch Wall-E if you can spare the time!

Kanna guard duty on Monday, unfortunately. Its my first guard duty in the SAF, lol.
I guess I have been too lucky in avoiding the grasps of regimental duties for the past 6 months. Not anymore I guess. Ahh. I do hope its not so bad.

That's all for today then. Gotta report back to camp soon. Might blog again next week!

My mind's unweaving/ 1:27 PM

Me

xC Lai [luke281913]

Nov 14th

1996-1998: Kuo Chuan Presbyterian Primary School (1/6, 2F, 3F)
1999-2001: Nanyang Primary School (4L, 5I, 6I)
2002-2005: Catholic High School (1-3, 2-3, 3-5, 4-5)
2006-2008: Anderson Junior College (13/06, 22/06)
2008-2010: Singapore Armed Forces (BMT Orion, SISPEC Charlie, 35 SCE Bravo Company)
2010-present: Singapore Management University (School of Information Systems)

Loves Blogging/Gaming/Being Happy
Hates mugging/homework(but we don't get a choice do we?)

tagboard

links

Amanda
Bowen
Choon Boon
Chris
Dennis
Douglas
Edwin Heng
Gerald
Guo Wei
Helen
Hin Ho
Hong Yao
Jeremy
Jewel
Jia Min
Joan
Joey
Ken
Kim
Leon
Li Le
Li Rong
Lydia
Mabel
Marvin
Mun Kiat
Patrick
Poh Sin
Pui Kit
Qin Pei
Qing Wen
Roger
Rong Jie
Roy
Rudi
Selina
Shirley
Si Hui
Spencer
Teck Ching
Terrence
Tian Xiang
Timothy
Wee Keong
Wei Lie
Wilson
Yu Hsin
Zheng Kai
Zhi Yu
Zi Tao
13/06!!!
22/06!!!

Links
My Blogthings
My Johari Window
My Feeds

Creative Commons License

memories
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
May 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
October 2011
November 2011
October 2012