Sunday, July 29, 2007
Straits Times Headlines today:
GST Hike: 1st profiteering case uncoveredFrom what I deduced from the news article, it is unethical to raise prices to earn profits from the GST hike. There is a Committee Against Profiteering(CAP) set up to deal with such issues.
Let's see. I do know of one particular price hike which is paricularly unreasonable.
The drinks stall in the canteen. It raised prices of every drink by 10 cents after the GST hike came into effect. Compared to the reported case in the newspaper article, which raised prices by 3.7%, our drinks stall has raised prices by 8% to 12.5%!
That, compared to a 2% GST hike.
They are just trying to earn more profits, using the GST hike as a shield(or would I say excuse?) to cover up their profit-making.
And they are earning from us students! How unethical can it possibly get?
You know what? I think we should persuade them to reverse their price hikes.
This is also not the first time that the drinks stall is upping prices without special notice. When they changed the Milo from a packet drink to a canned drink, they increased the prices by 20 cents. Now its a further 10 cents higher.
The first time I bought from the drinks stall, I had already noticed that its prices were much higher compared to the drinks stall in Catholic High. Now they are just getting more out of hand.
Don't ignore this situation by saying that 10 cents is just a meagre amount. If you are buying drinks from the drinks stall on a frequent basis, you are losing an extra 10 cents each time you do so. Not to mention that their prices are already outrageously above the normal price level in an ideal school canteen.
Oh and just another thing. The quality of the drinks are also getting way out of hand. Last time, they used to sell diluted soya bean. Now their soya bean tastes like bandung too. They are clearly mixing the holding containers of their drinks as they wish.
Why are we paying more for lower quality? This doesn't make sense. Not at all.
I am definitely going to do something about it.
Will you?
Labels: special articles
My mind's unweaving/ 1:30 PM