Friday, July 06, 2007
As part of the school's surprise package, we were told we would be having a career fair officially on the day of the career fair itself.
Patrick Lim actually told us the day before, but I don't really get why we were told so late.
Like any Wednesday, it was a day with plenty of breaks and few lessons.
Wonder why.I went for the talk on the Singapore tourism industry, followed by accountancy, and engineering.
Tourism didnt really interest me, since I am not really into the hospitability issue. Hah. Not that I am not hospitable. Its just that integrated resorts and casinos and the number of foreigners in Singapore doesn't interest me.
I went for accountancy after that. It was quite intriguing, though someone to my left was fast asleep. Haha. Everyone probably has different interests. I slept during the tourism one.
Accountancy seemed like a rather interesting career, and with the lack of accountants in Singapore, there seems to be prospects in this field. The job's apparently not an easy one though. They mentioned the Big Four in the accountancy field. And they appeared on the news today. It seems like the starting salaries for accountants have just risen again due to the lack of people in this area. Singapore is really lacking accountants, eh?
I went for the engineering talk after that. Previously, I thought of going into engineering, but I had no inkling what engineering was really all about. Ok, so i figured a thing or two from that talk. Its something about using resources to innovate and invent stuffs beneficial to the world. Interesting.
The person giving the talk was a rather hyperactive lecturer from NUS. He's really funny. Lol.
Considering all the information I took in during the career fair, I was quite sure I would be staying in Singapore to study. And trust me, the last career I will pick up is teaching. I don't like careers with a routine work schedule.
But few careers have a flexible one. Accounting? Engineering? Or something else?
I haven't dropped the idea of pursuing my interest in Psychology though. If I get a chance in the future, I might take on it as an extra interest.
Well, well. Picking a career seems like a tough choice. Its always important to pick something one is interested in. At least you will enjoy your job no matter how lousy it is. But that doesn't mean being a road sweeper if you love sweeping. We got to balance between the love for our job and the future prospects it will have.
So I guess that's it for the careers.
To quote a famous someone:
"Don't know why they hold career talks when you all got no future. Such results how to get a career?"In the short run, got to work hard for the results first. Haha. Think about the career later.
Anyway, of the results I got back, I passed Physics and I guess I will blatantly fail all my other H2s. I am holding some hope for GP still. I know I will fail Geography. Miss Zhu had to think for a while before saying: "I think some people passed."
That means a vast majority failed. Which will include me. Anyway, I don't know what to do about my Geography grades. Miracles will never happen. I guess I will have to work towards forming one of my own. No time to be depressed over the results. What's over is over. The time should be spent working towards new results!
For the prelims/ promos/ A-levels,
Good luck and all the best peeps. Jia you ba!
My mind's unweaving/ 11:29 PM