Sunday, April 30, 2006
Alright that last entry was very vey long so i decided to summarise it all in a camp review here
those who aint interested to read the very long entry just skip it
Overall i would rate the camp
8/10The average rating for it is around
7.5/10The camp was considerably more successful than expected. There were multiple last minute decisions being made and the schedule was redrawn many times. However, this should be expected as we need to adapt to circumstances and problems posed at us at any point of time. Despite the obstacles, we were able to ensure that the camp ran smoothly and according to schedule. I would like to express my gratitude towards the J1 organising committee, the J2 organising committee, the PS exco members and the alumni for helping to make this camp a success.
Upon evaluation, the most common complaint lodged about the camp was on the lack of sleep. I would like to say that as this is a camp, we shouldn't be expecting sufficient sleep from it. An average of 5 hours of sleeping time would be considered sufficient in a camp. However, I do agree that the amount of sleeping time available was lower in this camp due to tight schedules or delays as in the situation on Saturday where we ended 1.5 hr late. The camp participants received 5 hours of sleep on the 1st night of the camp, while they received 3.5 hours of sleep on the 2nd night. I would like to add on that the organising committee had slept for only 2 hours on each night of the camp so I understand that it had been very tiring for all of us. Nevertheless, it had been a rather enjoyable experience for all of us. To me, it was also very fulfiling as it was my first-hand experience at organising a camp, and as the overall IC too. From the knowledge I learnt during this camp, I believe if there was another opportunity to organise a similar camp, it would no doubt be much more successful than this camp.
A camp is not as simple as it looks. There are multiple aspects to look into when organising a camp. For every minute spent in the camp, 5 minutes was probably spent to plan the activities in that time period. It is not only a schedule and the details of each activity that matters in a camp proposal. We will also have to look other matters such as the risks of each activity, the level of intensity of the activity, the level of excitment in each activity and the things we can learn from each activity. Therefore, it is critical for us to look at each activity from the perspectives of multiple people, namely the participants, the organisers and the teachers. All these evaluation can be a workload for the organisers but it is necessary to make the camp successful.
Being part of the organising commitee for the camp, I realised how important I turned out to be in the duration of the camp. As I had to handle many important matters directly, each decision made by me would affect the whole camp. Therefore I had to handle every matter carefully to avoid confusion or disorder in the camp. I should ensure that I am able to answer every question posed at me about the camp made by anyone. Matters which I have to handle during the camp are mainly the adminstrative work and the organising work to maintain order in the camp. Also, I must make sure that every camp participant must be clear of activities that they would be participating in during the camp. This is clearly important as there was slight confusion caused due to the lack of information given about the camp on the 1st night of the camp. Lastly, I would like to look into the problems that occured during the camp.
Distinctly, the main problem during the camp was the lower level of enthusiasm on the 2nd day of the camp as compared to the 1st day. Upon looking through the schedule and from my own personal experience, I realised this was caused mainly by the tiring activities throughout the day. For one, the camp participants had less sleep than usual the previous night which caused them to feel tired at the start of the day. Another matter which led to this was probably due to the outing held on the morning of the 2nd day of the camp. The outing took up a lot of energy in everyone who appeared lethargic by the time the outing had ended. The situation was further worsened when games came next after the outing. The tiredness in each participant had no doubt caused them to feel less enthusiastic about the games organised for them. As a result, the games did not turn out as well as it was and the participants were bored by the games. This situation should be looked into by reanalyzing the amount of time provided for rest in the duration of the camp. We should keep everyone in the camp at an active level and definitely, we must not let them feel that the activites are boring.
I would like to wrap up this camp review by saying that there are indeed a lot of space for improvements in this camp. This could be done through a more detailed proposal and analysis of the camp. As what the J2s said, if we as the organisers feel that the activities are boring, there would be no doubt that the camp participants will find the activities boring too. Therefore, we should always do a test-run of all activities to experience it for ourselves. In this way, the activites planned out would all be a fun and enjoyable experience for everyone.
Thank You for reading my camp review. If you have any comments on the camp review or the camp itself which you would like to tell me about, feel free to leave a message behind on the tagboard or email me at
laixinchu@gmail.comOnce again, thanks for all the support given to us.
My mind's unweaving/ 9:39 PM